Picture of Me

Picture of Me

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Update On My Journey...

Wow! it has been a crazy 6 months since I left my home in Maine. The Lord has been faithful, as always providing all of my needs and continuing to teach me everyday.

 Bethany College of Missions is a Missions oriented college dedicated to train and send effective missionaries.

  Here is there Lifestyle Statement:

"Those who commit themselves to missions must first develop a love for Jesus and be committed to His command to go and make disciples. Second, they must be willing to do whatever is required in order to reach people for Jesus and develop a strong faith that will carry them through challenges and difficulties.
In light of this, students at Bethany are not to live in sexual immorality, impurity, lust, drunkenness, selfish ambition, greed, idolatry, witchcraft, jealousy, envy, hatred, anger, rage, discord, dissension, factions, slander, filthy language, lying or prejudice, but are to rid themselves of these things. (Galatians 5:19-21 & Colossians 3:5-9)
Love is the principle by which we seek to live, honoring others above ourselves and not engaging in behavior that might be a cause for stumbling or offense. In addition, we ask that students be careful not to participate in activities that desensitize their conscience or hinder spiritual growth."

With this lifestyle statement in place I have been able to grow in maturity, and most of all strengthen my relationship with the Lord.

What I love about this school is the importance they put on KNOWING JESUS not just obtaining head knowledge. Don't get me wrong intellect is good to have, but there are so many pastors and missionaries and leaders out there who know everything there is to know about the bible but do not know Jesus. I can tell you right now that knowledge means nothing if you do not know Him.


I have learned throughout this year to ferociously seek after God, and to obey the call that he has for my life.

At this point your probably wondering what I do in an average day. It looks something like this:

I start my day at around 6:30, I wake up, (pray) eat breakfast and get ready for class at 8:00!




I have class from 8:00 to 11:00...


Then from 11:00-12:00 I have Chapel! (Times vary between days) I also have a weekly fasting Chapel. I absolutely love Chapel because it is a great chance for me to take my burdens of the day and surrender them to the Lord, worshiping Him and praising Him, giving Him the worship that He is Due!!


After Chapel I have lunch! I can assure you that the food here is wonderful! So many different choices!




After Lunch I have whats called "PT" or Practical Training. Practical Training Consists of working around campus from 1:00-5:00 

PT Explained:

Practical Training (PT) is an essential element of each student’s experience at BCOM.
From the foundation of Bethany in the 1940’s, student involvement in on-campus mission, business, and ministry operations has proven invaluable in giving them “real world” experience and skills.
Because of the student PT program, we are able to keep our operating costs low. This allows us to offer every student an automatic Practical Training Scholarship to offset the cost of the college program.
The key benefit for students, however, is not simply financial. Bethany Practical Training Supervisors and staff work shoulder to shoulder with students to stay in touch with the challenges our students face. It is part of the powerful mentoring model that creates a natural daily forum to develop students into world-changing leaders in God’s Kingdom. Work supervisors develop authentic relationships with students in which the ups and downs of life are shared willingly. Lifelong friendships with staff and other students form in the hours spent chopping vegetables, gardening, painting or preparing for a campus event. Students are assessed at the end of each term. As they master tasks and develop understanding, they are given greater responsibility. This allows students to learn new skills, work under godly leaders, learn to be a good team member and facilitator and take on leadership responsibilities themselves. 

As you can see this program provides an excellent source of growth and has equipped me with a lot of physical endurance and spiritual strength. The PT program has taught me to be disciplined and trustworthy. It has taught me to persevere through the rough days when I feel apathetic or don't feel like getting out of bed. I have learned that it is not wise to live by feelings. Feelings can sometimes lead us astray from the call that God has for us. I always try and remember who I am serving when doing PT.  :)

I am on the Cleaning Crew and this is the crew I work with everyday! (I love them so much!)





After PT I eat dinner and have the rest of the evening to do homework, spend time with the Lord, or just hang with friends.


The Lord has certainly done a lot in my life, and will continue to mold me and shape me into His Image!



No comments:

Post a Comment